reason I prefer boardwalks ...


Devil's  Millhopper  Geological  State  Park
4732  Millhopper Road 
Gainesville,  Florida
...
120 feet  deep sinkhole
the grand daddy of all Florida  sinkholes.
exposing limestone layers that date back
34 million years.
...
1974 the state park system began to manage the site
and installed 236 steps to the bottom.
that number was reduced to 132 steps
after hurricane Irma (2017 ) .
park closed from  2017 until 2019 
for repairs.
...
1971 when Millhopper was 
unencumbered by fences, gates and  steps.
my dorm mates and I decided to take a break
from studying for exams and visit the site
after midnight with flashlights in hand.
I tripped and slid about 20 feet down the
ravine before catching onto some tree roots.
my flashlight made it all the way to the bottom.
...
scratched ,bruised and sore 
at least the HOT light was on 
at Krispy Kreme.
so not a wasted trip.


Popular posts from this blog

old florida ...